Q: Why do I have to turn in a Graduation Application?
A: The Graduation Application tells the Registrar's Office that you will be completing all of the requirements for graduation, plus gives us information like what semester you will complete all of the requirements, where you want us to send your diploma, how to contact you if we have any questions, and more.
Q: When do I have to turn in the Graduation Application?
A: There are a couple of deadlines, depending on in which semester you will complete all your classes:
FALL 2021 Completion—Friday, October 1, 2021
SPRING 2022 Completion—Thursday, November 18, 2021
SUMMER 2022 Completion—Thursday, November 18, 2021
Q: When is the graduation ceremony?
A: We actually call this ceremony "Commencement". The ceremony will take place on Saturday, May 7, 2022, at 10:00 a.m.
This may change, depending on the situation with the Coronavirus.
Q: Do I have to walk in the ceremony?
A: Students who have met all the requirements for graduation are expected to participate.
Q: Do I have to buy a cap & gown?
A: Maybe. If you already have a black cap & gown, then no. If you don't have or can't borrow a black cap & gown, then yes.
Q: When will I receive my diploma?
A: About 2 months after you've completed the last class for your certificate or degree.
******* INSTRUCTIONS *******
1. Fill out the graduation application on a computer, then print it out and take it to your advisor. You and your advisor must BOTH sign the application. If you don't know which boxes to check, ask your advisor. DO NOT HAND WRITE THE APPLICATION.
2. Ask your advisor to fill out a degree check sheet.
3. Pay the $15.00 diploma fee at the Business Office.
4. Turn in the Graduation Application, Degree Check, and receipt for the $15 to the Registrar's Office. All three must be turned in together. The Registrar's Office will not accept the application without a degree check and receipt.
*** CHECK WITH YOUR ADVISOR IN JANUARY TO SEE IF THERE ARE CLASSES YOU STILL NEED TO COMPLETE YOUR DEGREE ***
*** THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ***
To graduate with an Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of General Studies, or an Associate of Applied Science Degree from Seward County Community College, a student must have:
· a minimum of 60 credit hours completed (developmental courses will not count toward fulfilling degree requirements)
· a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.0
· a minimum of 15 residential credit hours
· completion of all courses for the chosen major
· completion of graduate assessment testing
Career Technical Certificate programs have various requirements including specific courses, credit hour totals, and clock hour totals.
All Associate degree and Career Technical Certificate graduates are required to participate in graduate assessments held every spring. Diplomas and transcripts will not be released until required assessments are completed
Specific degree and certificate requirements are listed in the college catalog and can also be obtained from the Registrar's Office, the Admissions Office, or an advisor.
Graduation with Honors
"Graduation with Honors" is based on a student's cumulative earned Grade Point Average (GPA) through the semester prior to graduation:
· Summa Cum Laude 3.85 - 4.00
· Magna Cum Laude 3.65 - 3.84
· Cum Laude 3.50 - 3.64
The final semester grades are calculated in the final GPA for the purpose of graduation with honors which will then print on the student's Official Transcript.Students who are designated as Honor Graduates (at least a 3.5 GPA) may wear Honor Cords in the graduation ceremony.